Pre-conference event: Innovations in Support Services for Independent Living
This session will take place on Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 10:00 – 12:30, in the Room Hvammur of the Grand Hotel Reykjavík, Sigtún 38, 105 Reykjavík (maximum attendance: 40 participants).
This session serves as a pre-conference event for the 2023 edition of the Conference of the Nordic Network on Disability Research.
The event is free of charge, but seats are limited and will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis, thus we encourage interested participants to register soon.
Registration link: https://forms.gle/3sJLQY1PvCGH3ba56
With this pre-conference organised by EASPD and Throskahjálp, we intend to focus on how support services can impact the quality of life of persons with disabilities. In particular, the session will examine the question of independent living. As many organisations across Europe work towards ensuring Human Rights and dignity for persons with disabilities, the process of deinstitutionalisation brings about new challenges and opportunities. In this context, self-directed support and user-centred services and funding models have become key approaches to ensure that users are at the centre of service provision and that service actually contribute to an improvement in their quality of life and meaningful participation in the community.
We will explore various innovative practices related to independent living in Iceland and across Europe, before discussing the next steps for European collaboration and research needs.
Moderation: Anna Lára Steindal (Þroskahjálp) and Renaud Scheuer (European Association of Service providers for Persons with Disabilities – EASPD)
- 10:00-04:15 Welcome: Anna Lára Steindal (Þroskahjálp/Átak) and Maya Doneva (EASPD)
- 10:15-10:20 Introduction: programme and objectives of the day: Renaud Scheuer (EASPD)
- 10:20-10:35 Speaker 1: The perspective of local public authorities: Aðalbjörg Traustadóttir (Office for Disability
Policy and Department of welfare, City of Reykjavík)
- 10:35-10:50 Speaker 2: Needs and opportunities for inclusive housing in Iceland: Anna Lára Steindal (Þroskahjálp/Átak)
- 10:50-11:05 Speaker 3: User-led personal assistants in Iceland: Rúnar Björn Herrera Þorkelsson& Erna Eiríksdóttir (NPA stöðin)
- 11:05-11:30 Break
- 11:30-11:45 Speaker 4: Making services more accessible in Iceland: Ósk Sigurðardóttir (Sjálfsbjörg)
- 11:45-12:00 Speaker 5: Needs and rights, implementation and assessment and Quality of life: Lessons from
European Collaboration: Maarit Aalto (M.A. Education & Survey)
- 12:00-12:15 Speaker 6: Innovative practices in personal budget systems and self-directed support across Europe:
Konstantina Leventi (EASPD)
- 12:15-12:30: Q&A
- 12:30 Conclusion: Next steps: what to expect from European collaboration and what are the research needs.